'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
简介A woman walking around in a box in southern Seoul's popular Gangnam has sparked criticism onlin ...
A woman walking around in a box in southern Seoul's popular Gangnam has sparked criticism online.
On Friday, an online community posted a thread titled "Real-time Apgujeong Box Girl," showing pictures of a woman who appeared to be wearing only a cardboard box in Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam-gu. She could be seen guiding men's hands through holes on either side of the box, apparently to allow them to touch her breasts.
Responses to the thread varied widely. Some people responded with humor -- "This is why you must live in Seoul" -- and advocated for a more open sexual culture.
On the other hand, there was also criticism that the woman's performance constituted obscenity and the objectification of women.
The woman referred to as "Apgujeong Box Girl" was revealed to be a Korean adult video actor and model named Ain. Ain posted the photo to her Instagram, expressing gratitude for what she labeled the "Angel Box event."
Ain herself has called it a form of performance art, saying it was meant to challenge double standards in how male and female bodies are perceived in society in an interview with local media.
Ain also explained that she was encouraged by her agency's CEO, who suggested it as a way to challenge South Korea's conservative sexual culture for promotional purposes.
Previously in August, women wearing bikinis were detained by police in the Gangnam area for "excessive exposure" while on motorcycles. Their publicity stunt was said to be for a magazine promotion.
These instances of women publicly participating in sexually suggestive behavior for promotional purposes have raised concerns about excessive exposure and obscenity, sparking increased interest in the legal consequences of their actions.
Under Korean law, publicly exposing significant parts of one's body in a way that causes discomfort or embarrassment to others may constitute an excessive exposure offense. Violation can lead to fines of up to 100,000 won ($74), detention or disciplinary action.
Park Jong-bok, the CEO of Standard Chartered Bank Korea, has been nominated as the sole final candid ...
In rookie director Kim Chang-hoon’s feature debut film “Hopeless” which opened in theaters last week ...
Discussions regarding the need for dialogue to address North Korea's nuclear quandary in the Un ...
- [Herald Interview] Netflix's ‘Devil’s Plan’ expands realm of survival game shows
- Korea extends fuel tax cut scheme until year's end
- [KH Explains] Amazon's cloud industry plans raise fears of Korean market monopoly
- Seoul shares open lower ahead of earnings season
- Cast of ‘Norma’ says opera difficult to sing but easy to enjoy
- 김웅 "국민은 바꾸라는데 단결만 얘기…의총 뭐하러 하느냐"
HiteJinro to produce soju in Vietnam
HMM sale to face hurdles amid slowdown in shipping industry
Jeonse scams cause W510b in losses, with less than 25% recovered: lawmaker
LG Innotek wins patents for EV charging technology
Hyundai Rotem to showcase new ground weapons systems at Seoul expo
Andong, serene destination for immersing in traditions
- [New on scene] Hong Xa
- S. Korea entering 'recovery phase' amid geopolitical uncertainties: Choo
- [Coffee Klatch] Take a sip of Turkish coffee in Seoul
- Blackpink's Jennie makes solo debut on Official UK Singles Chart
- S. Korea to review additional measures against N. Korea's arms transfer to Russia
- [New on scene] Hong Xa
- HD Korea Shipbuilding to build world's first ammonia
- S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
- New book sheds light on ongoing debate and legacy of comfort women issues
- Returning minister Yu In
- New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
- S. Korea set to open largest
- [Korea Beyond Korea] In Paris, soaring demand for Korean studies yet to be fully met
- MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
- US strategic bomber B
- Seoul shares up nearly 1 pct on eased concerns over Middle East conflict
- Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
- Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
- 윤 대통령 “국민소통·현장소통·당정소통 강화하라”
- Welcome Daehakro Festival lights up Seoul's stage hub
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities