PM orders measures to prevent public opinion manipulation on web portals
简介Prime Minister Han Duck-soo on Wednesday ordered South Korea's Cabinet to set up a pan-governme ...
Prime Minister Han Duck-soo on Wednesday ordered South Korea's Cabinet to set up a pan-governmental task force to prevent "fake news" from "manipulating public opinion."
The government, based on an estimate by the state-run media watchdog, the Korea Communications Commission, suspects that two foreign internet users left 20 million reactions cheering for the Chinese soccer team within a few hours on an online forum dedicated to the men's soccer match between South Korea and China in Sunday's quarterfinals at the Asian Games in Hangzhou.
Both Daum and Naver block access from China for certain functions, but the users used IP addresses in the Netherlands and Japan, and activated an algorithm to repeat a set of actions with extremely high frequency, according to officials.
The call came after the ruling party raised concerns over the unusually high number of clicks in support of the Chinese soccer team during the match on Sunday, saying that failing to address such internet trolling activities might make web portals vulnerable to election-interference attempts in the future.
The ruling People Power Party, as well as the presidential office, pointed to anomalies in the number of online fans cheering for the Chinese national team on Korean web portal Daum's public forum, as the internet space is typically dominated by Koreans.
The same day, Lee Jong-bae, a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Council affiliated with the ruling People Power Party, accused unidentified sock puppet accounts on Daum's public forum of interfering with business by causing interruptions in data processing. While filing the criminal complaint with the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office at 2 p.m., Lee said any attempt to manipulate public opinion through computer-powered mechanisms with malicious intentions is a criminal act.
South Korea's import prices rose for the third straight month in September due to the higher pr ...
13일 김정은 북한 국무위원장과 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령의 회담에 대해 14일 북한 매체들은 “(단독 정상회담에서)만족한 합의와 견해 일치를 봤다”고 보도했다. 김정은이 푸틴 ...
9월 셋째 주 주요뉴스 키워드는 #통계조작 #조국 #최강인 의원직상실 #정유정 계획범죄 인정 #세수 펑크 #이재명 체포동의안 가결 #미국ㆍ이란 수김자 맞교환 #윤 대통령 UN총회 ...
- Zandari Festa kicks off with local, foreign indie bands
- Doosan Robotics shares debut at double IPO price
- 박성중 "다음 中응원은 드루킹 시즌2…강서구 선거 안심 못해"
- Fifty Fifty’s agency, Attrakt, files W1b compensation claim against The Givers
- 1 in 4 foreign workers earn more from unemployment benefits than from work
- “北, 무단철거 금강산 골프장서 옥수수 건조”
- Samsung Biologics raises annual estimated earnings to W3.6t
- Live music festival Block Party to return to Haebangchon
- Fan meeting offers 'Break Time' for 'Dream Academy' trainees on their way to debut
- PM orders measures to prevent public opinion manipulation on web portals
- Hyundai Engineering wins US gas
- Sabre fencer, swimming relay team eye historic medals
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
- Golden apples: Why fruit prices are national issue in early autumn
- From traditional to trendy, three of Seoul's top yukhoe spots
- KFCC promotes financial inclusion via branches in developing nations
- Opposition head pleads for support in ‘fight against Yoon dictatorship’
- BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
- Ministry uncovers 1,802 Youth Protection Act violations
- [Photo News] Mudeungsan fully opens door to public after 57 years
- Surveillance cameras to be a must in hospital operating rooms
- Seoul shares close lower amid woes over Fed's drawn
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun